When you make the decision to become an expat this only creates a snowball effect and opens the door for number of other decisions you need to make come rolling through. Typically, the next large decision that you will need to make is where you will become an expat. If you’re not sure and have no idea where would be a good place to establish your roots- this might help. The 2014 Expat Insider, run by InterNations has announced their “World Through Expat Eyes” survey results- including the top expat destinations.
This survey consists of almost 14,000 expatriates from more than 160 countries around the world. Expats answer a survey based upon the following areas: general quality of life, working abroad, family life, leisure and making friends abroad, international romance and expat relationships, and personal finances.
To give a bit of background on who took the survey, here are a few demographic statistics:
- 87% hold a university degree
- 16% moved because they found a job on their own abroad
- 13% were sent abroad by an employer
- 26% might stay an expat forever
- 53% are females and 47% males
- 48% are married
This survey gives a plethora of information- more than enough for someone trying to figure out where to move abroad as an expat. If you want insight on what other expats are saying about their host country, here are the 2014 Top 10 Expat Destinations:
In order to determine this list the Survey took a look at a few different factors to establish the overall country ranking. These factors include:
- Quality of life: leisure options, personal happiness, travel and transport, health, safety and well-being
- Working abroad: job and career, work-life balance and job security
- Ease of settling in: feeling welcome, friendliness, finding friends, language
- Family life: availability of childcare and education, costs of childcare and education, quality of education, family well-being
- Personal finances
- The answer to the question “How satisfied are you with your life abroad in general?”
Looking deeper at the top-ranked country, Ecuador, it ranked well across the board- 91% of expats in Ecuador who participated in the survey said they are satisfied with their life there. It took first place when it comes to personal finances and the cost of living- this combination helped make it the most satisfying place to live financially. In fact, the survey states that it “offers a lot to expats for little money.” Other areas that expats in Ecuador raved about include making friends and finding romance with the locals.
To read the full report on where to live as an expat you can visit here.