Do You Prefer a Window or an Aisle Seat?
I am writing you today as I just arrived in my destination country. As excited as I was, the plane ride was about 24 hours. Since this was my first trip on an airplane, I was unable to decide between the aisle or window seat. I made a list of the pros and cons of both, and at the end was unable to decide. That was a poor decision on my end as 24 hours on an airplane sure does give someone a lot of time to reflect – as I did as I traveled the whole way in the middle seat. With no options left, I wanted to spare you, Fellow Traveler, in hopes that this would not happen to an innocent passenger again. Below, I have pondered the pros and cons of the aisle and window to help you with this decision.
Aisle – Pros and Cons:
- Easily accessible to the bathroom should you need to move around the cabin
- Other passengers and food/beverage carts pass through the aisle frequently and can bump or hit you in the process
- Offers more leg room as you can somewhat sprawl into the aisle
- Little interference to get out, grab your bags, and exit quicker (especially important if you have a tight connection!)
- Can access your baggage from the overhead compartment during the flight
- Unfortunately with that access, you will also have to get up when others need to go to the bathroom or access the overhead compartment
- Limited window view
Window – Pros and Cons:
- You can look out the window and enjoy the view from liftoff to landing
- You have a place to rest your head as you doze away
- Accessibility to the restroom requires passengers to exit first
- Some people say it helps with claustrophobia
- Can be colder as it is usually up against the vents
- You do not have to worry about passengers who want to get in and out of their seats
- You also have main control over whether to open or close the window shades
I wish you the best in determining the best airline seat for you, as I myself was victim to indecision. The pros and cons of aisle versus window seat can be a hard decision! If you, fellow traveler, have experiences that you’d like to share, please let us know.
Related: How to Choose the Best Airplane Seat