Forums and Social Networks for Expatriates
Expat forums are websites or a section of a website that allows Expats to communicate with each other by posting messages. Whether you are looking for work, the best places to shop, or meet with other local Expats, Expat forums are a great resource.
More and more, former forums have migrated to social media. Capitalizing on the fact most people are already using those sites and familiar with how they work. Some examples of Expat communities on popular social media platforms are:
Facebook Groups for Expatriates
LinkedIn – Networking Groups for Expats on LinkedIN
- Expatriates & Global Mobility – Connect with professionals around the world working living away from home. There are more than 200 Million global citizens.
- Expat Network – Welcome! A network for expat networkers, expatriate services professionals, human resources, and recruiting managers.
- Forum for Expatriate Management – The Forum for Expatriate Management is the first major organization designed solely for Global Mobility practitioners.
- British Expat Networking Group – – This is a group for British expats around the world who have left the UK and taken up residency to pursue employment overseas.
- The Global Mobility Network – This group has been established to help global mobility professionals network and to answer questions about global mobility policies and tax.
These resources might provide all the interaction you need or they may only be a starting point. There are literally hundreds of online communities out there, including ones dedicated to Expats in any particular country like this one for Expats in Singapore.
Join IN. Be positive. Contribute!
Like most things in life, you’ll only get out what you put in to these forums. Being a lurker on expat forums isn’t going to harm anyone but at the same time it isn’t going to help you all too much either. Sharing your experiences and knowledge as an Expat will provoke conversation and in turn new knowledge or perspectives about your new home away from home.