Travel insurance is mandatory in many cases for organized mountain climbing expeditions. If you are planning to go solo, you may also decide that you’d like to insure your adventure in case the unexpected happens. Whether you are planning to hike Mount Everest or Torres del Paine, it is important to look at specific features of your plan:
- Is there an elevation limitation on the plan?
- Do you need to purchase additional coverage for your activities?
- Does the plan cover emergency medical evacuation and repatriation?
- Will the plan transport you home in the event that it is medically necessary?
- How much will the plan cover for doctor visits and hospitalization?
A popular choice for mountaineering and trekking insurance is the IMG Patriot Adventure plan that will cover you with ropes and guides to 4500m from ground level. Additionally, the plan provides 24 hour travel assistance and translation services are available. This travel insurance with extreme sports included not only covers medical evacuation and repatriation, but also doctor visits and hospitalization up to $1 million in coverage.