Insurance Options for International Teaching Opportunities
Are you planning to teach overseas? Whether you will be teaching English, business or another subject, you may want to consider purchasing a medical and health insurance before you depart your home country. Living overseas can be exciting – new culture, new language (in some cases!), and new places to discover! However, you do not want to be in a foreign country trying to learn the health care system when you are sick!
Because of this, we recommend purchasing a medical insurance for teachers overseas. If not already provided by your program/school, you will instead want to purchase a private international health insurance to have in place just in case you need it. If you will be purchasing your own health insurance, there are a few considerations that you will need to ask yourself:
- Do you plan on traveling to neighboring countries? If so, then you will need a plan that will cover you in multiple countries. Before purchasing a plan, you will also need to find out if you need to call in advance before going to another country. If your school/program offers insurance, make sure that it will cover you in your intended travel destinations (if not, you may consider purchasing a short-term travel plan).
- Do you need home country coverage? Many travel and health insurance plans have restrictions on coverage in your home country. Whether you have a plan or if you are looking to purchase an insurance for teaching internationally, make sure that you know what type of coverage you will have back home. Some medical insurance for teachers overseas allows individuals to add home country coverage to their new plan. Be sure to explore your options before you buy!
- How will coverage affect you when returning home? This is a question that many individuals have to ask themselves. For United States citizens, as an example, this may mean that you do not have a plan with “credible coverage” which may put additional waiting periods before you have full coverage. For these cases, you may want to consider the Global Citizen plan as your insurance for teaching internationally. As another example, Canadian citizens may have to waiting period when they return back to Canada before they are eligible for national health care. Check with your current plan to see how this will affect you and what steps you can take to protect yourself.
- What type of coverage do you want to be included in your health and medical insurance? Are you looking for an accident and illness policy or do you want more comprehensive coverage that includes routine check-up visits, maternity, mental health, etc.? There are many different medical insurance options for teachers overseas so it is important to find what you want – and also what you don’t want!
- How long do you anticipate needing coverage? Traveling overseas to teach is a wonderful, enriching experience. However, it may not be for everyone. If you are going to a new country or if this is your first time teaching overseas, you may want to purchase a plan that will be flexible with your dates of travel. You will want to know whether you can purchase the plan month-to-month, if you can extend coverage (and if so, how?), and what the cancellation policy is on the policy. If you plan to be overseas for a long-term stay, then you will want to find out if your plan is renewable (and if there is a limit on renewals), if there are any age caps preventing renewal, and what the process is if you will be renewing overseas.
Now of days, more and more people are moving overseas to be teachers. Most people say that your experience is what you make of it and also what type of program/school you select. It is important that you contact your program directly to see what types of accommodations are included and what you will need to secure on your own. Among the top priorities, many people suggest that you purchase a medical insurance for teachers overseas before your arrival so that you will have coverage just in case. Some plans even have translation medical services if you are in a country that speaks another language and you need immediate assistance. Contact one of our licensed agents to help find the best plan for you!