If you’re traveling without a loved one- especially for a long period of time, it’s not always an easy road. Keeping in contact with those you had to leave behind is important, but often difficult to find ways other than talking on the phone to stay up to date on their life- and keep them up to date on yours. Here are a few ways to keep in touch while abroad.
- Social Media- Depending on where you are traveling, some social media platforms, like Facebook, might be blocked. Luckily there are a number of other great platforms to choose from. Here are a few that can be helpful when keeping in touch.
- Twitter- The more tweets the better! This means you can tweet all day to keep your loved ones back home in the loop with what is going on in your life and you won’t annoy those who follow you.
- Instagram- Traveling often involves taking lots of photos- make sure you share the best through Instagram! This will also help you keep your favorite travel photos in one place.
- Snapchat- Want to send a quick video that will disappear after being watched? Snapchat is the way to go.
- Blog- If you need to keep in touch with a large number of people back home it can be hard to get them to all join one social media platform. However, getting them to follow your blog is not so hard-especially if you keep it interesting with all of your latest travel stories. A blog is a great way to keep in touch if you have a lot of information to share.
- Skype- If you don’t have a Skype account, you will want to get one right away and make sure anyone you want to talk to while you’re away has an account also. Chatting through Skype is free- all you need is an internet connection. Skype also has packages that you purchase to make international calls.
- Mail- Sending a letter might seem old fashioned, but when you receive a letter in the mail it’s much more exciting than receiving an email! Postcards are a great way to send a note if you’re in a hurry while traveling. If you have a bit more time on your hands, gather a few souvenirs and send a package home. The only thing more exciting than receiving a letter in the mail is receiving a package in the mail.
Although traveling without friends and family can be difficult, using these ways to keep in touch while abroad will help you during your journey.